Monday, March 30, 2009

Breathe

I recently watched Rob Bell's Nooma Video "Breathe" with my students. I've seen it before, but some new things hit me this time:

If our breathing is actually saying the name of God, then it makes sense that life begins with a breath and ends when we can no longer say the name of God.

If our breathing is actually saying the name of God, then what does it really mean to "take the name of God in vain?" My students say that it means that you shouldn't swear using God's name, but if our very breath is God's name, then wouldn't it mean more? Wouldn't it mean that our breath shouldn't be used to gossip? Wouldn't it mean that our breath shouldn't be used to tear people down or destroy people? Wouldn't it mean that our breath shouldn't be used for anything that is harmful or hurtful? Wouldn't all of that be considered taking God's name in vain?

Would "wasting our breath" by rambling on with meaningless chatter also be considered taking God's name in vain?

The other thing that caught my attention this time was that science says we should receive 90% of our energy from breathing, but we don't. How much does that speak to us not tapping into the power that God has for us?

I'm not sure I have any answers for this, but it certainly made me (and my students) think!

No comments:

Post a Comment